From Saturday 2 May, the Guardian Masterclasses programme of short courses will be available online for the first time – giving readers access to expert-led classes on writing, leadership skills, data visualisation and more. The move is a response to the increased demand for quality online learning during this period, say the publishers.
In the coming months, Guardian Masterclasses will focus on business, wellbeing, culture and creativity courses to equip Guardian readers with stimulating and enlightening experiences.
The first online events will explore a mix of current topics; Coronavirus explained: The view from China, Guardian Book Club with Bernardine Evaristo and Rutger Bregman in conversation with Owen Jones. The events will also be available for playback online at a later time.
The Guardian’s UK events business is well established - hosting over 80 live events and 250 Masterclasses annually, featuring well-known Guardian journalists including Jonathan Freedland, Anushka Asthana and Iman Amrani, as well as international speakers including Malala Yousafzai and Ai Weiwei.
The first events and masterclasses were offered free of charge during an initial testing period, with overwhelming positive feedback for both experiences, says The Guardian.
Anna Bateson, chief customer officer, Guardian News & Media, said: “We are delighted to offer our world-class programme of events and intelligent short courses to Guardian readers globally. We see strong opportunities to elevate Guardian journalism and give our readers closer access to Guardian journalists and some of the world’s most imaginative thinkers. This format opens the door for many more readers to engage with our journalism.
"Guardian readers have always enjoyed participating in events and classes with our brilliant journalists and tutors. Going online will help us bring the Guardian's expertise to wider audiences in the UK and around the world."
Upcoming Guardian Live events:
- Wed 13 May: Coronavirus explained: The view from China with Lily Kuo, Emma Graham-Harrison and Tania Branigan
- Thurs 14 May: Guardian Book Club with 2019 Booker prize winner Bernardine Evaristo
- Mon 18 May: Fresh Voices: Iman Amrani talks to grime artist Big Zuu
- Tues 19 May: leading Dutch author and historian Rutger Bregman in conversation with Owen Jones
- Wed 20 May: Coronavirus explained: Documenting a crisis with John Harris and John Domokos
- Wed 27 May: Coronavirus explained: The impact on the climate emergency
- Thurs 28 May: Guardian Book Club with Phillip Pullman, author of His Dark Materials
- Thurs 11 June: Guardian Book Club with David Nicholls, author of One Day and Starter for 10
- Thurs 23 July: In conversation with Jia Tolentino
Upcoming Guardian Masterclasses:
- Sun 24 May: How to write a must-watch screenplay with John Yorke
- Tues 26 May: Felicity Cloake’s masterclass: How to cook
- Sun 31 May: A brief history of art with Jonathan Jones