Windpower Intelligence is a paid-for digital tracker service launched in September 2010. The tracker is an experimental new platform developed by Haymarket with StrategyEye. The aim was to create a high value information service that wove together journalism, data and analytical tools in an intuitive system delivering customised information and data. In under a year, this service has generated a six-figure sum in subscription revenue, earning a place on the 2012 Media Pioneers shortlist.
The way it works is simple. The product is comprised of four content elements:
* a database of 5,000 of the world’s largest wind projects
* a news feed from 45,000 trusted sources
* a database of 6,000 companies operating in wind
* daily updates on wind projects, written by Haymarket journalists
The editorial team is trained to focus on updates and scoops that relate to specific trigger events that are likely to form a clear business lead. These triggers include:
* announcement of new projects
* supply contracts signed
* planning permission staging posts
* construction phase starts/ends
* project is connected to grid
Companies buy the service on a corporate licence basis (min price £3000) and use it as a holistic information service that can support sales, marketing, research and management teams around the world with real-time leads and market intelligence.
Subscribers can tailor to their needs and export instant reports
The platform is entirely customisable. Subscribers self-select a watchlist of companies, projects, markets, industry sectors or triggers. For instance, if you are only interested in turbine purchase agreements on 10MW+ wind farms in Japan, you can opt to be alerted every time one happens on an hourly, daily or weekly basis.
In addition, the tracker enables you to:
* create your own reports on markets, sectors or companies
* export into excel and instant-written PDFs
* Identify which companies are most active through real-time buzz ratings which measure press mentions
* connect companies to projects
Profitable in first year with six-figure subs revenue
The tracker has exceeded expectations, achieving a six-figure revenue in the 8 months since launch. More than 100% growth is forecast over the next 12 months. Within its first year, the service is now a profitable part of the Windpower Monthly portfolio and there are plans to clone across other publishing sectors within Haymarket group.
The Media Pioneer Awards, sponsored by Audience Media, recognise innovation and achievement in specialist media. Winners will be announced at the Specialist Media Show on 24 May 2012. To find out more about the 2012 Media Pioneer Awards and how to enter, contact email@example.com