The campaign, called ‘A Guide to Proper TV’, will launch on 29 May and run for seven months across all ESI Media’s platforms.
With popcorn and film/TV one of life’s ultimate combinations, says ESI Media, the ambition for the campaign is to associate Propercorn with viewing moments - finding delight in, and celebrating life’s everyday little ‘proper’ pleasures.
The campaign strategy, developed by independent media agency Bountiful Cow, hinges on the snack brand curating recommended on-demand TV moments, with a ‘Guide to Proper TV’ - a four-page monthly addition to the Evening Standard as well as a content hub housed on the Evening Standard and Independent online.
With the target audience watching TV and film across multiple subscription streaming on-demand platforms, research suggests these audiences rely largely on manual search and recommendations from friends and family. The guide will offer ‘what’s on’ recommendations across these platforms - this is a new ‘expert view’ content proposition not currently available in any mainstream editorial outlets, say the publishers.
Following a competitive pitch Propercorn & Bountiful Cow developed the idea alongside ESI’s Story Studio with Propercorn producing all of their advertising creative in house with their own design team. ESI Media says it was chosen as the exclusive media partner due to its ability to deliver authentic content to a large nation-wide audience across multiple platforms. In London Propercorn will leverage the Evening Standard’s “ownership” of Londoners’ evening commute as they’re considering viewing choices for the night ahead.
The campaign activations include:
* A launch day takeover of the Evening Standard including cover wrap, a four-page ‘Guide to Proper TV’ and sampling at key Evening Standard distribution points with high footfall in the capital.
* Ongoing editorial, display and native content integration across all ESI’s platforms over the course of seven months.
* Aligning with the newsbrands’ entertainment knowledge, editorial content will include ES’s Editorial Pick of the Best ‘Proper TV’ moments for the upcoming month.
* On ‘Proper’ TV transmission days, there will be supporting content on ESI’s platforms such as quizzes and tactical ads on the Evening Standard’s TV pages and Londoner’s Diary
* Bespoke ‘Proper TV’ supplements of The Independent will be distributed nationally with Propercorn samples in key cities around the UK during the campaign.
Jo Aves, Head of Creative Solutions, ESI Media said: “We know that the ESI Media audience is just as passionate about staying in as going out and trade on the social currency of being ‘in the know’. We can use this insight and knowledge alongside our editorial authority to ensure that when they plan their viewing schedule, their next thought is Propercorn.”
Lucy Markham, client director at Bountiful Cow said: “Working with a brand who genuinely want to add value to their audience has been an exciting challenge as we have been thinking outside of the box of how we align ourselves with modern day TV viewing. We chose to partner with ESI Media as they have great reach against our target audience as well as the leading editorial voices that can credibly determine what is hot to watch right now and the brand shares a much-loved place in people’s everyday lives, so it’s a natural fit.”